Saturday, June 2, 2007

the drainstorming

well this brainstorming is killing me

As suggested by the books I've read (and as slightly adjusted by me), I'm putting down on paper everything that happened in my life over the last 10 years.
I've built a table with six columns detailing:
1) the episodes, the achievements, the activities and the major changes in my life, along with a short description of each
2) the year (or period of time) in which they happened
3) the "area" they pertain to (A for academic, P for professional, E for extracurriculars, I also added I for international since that's a strong area for me, for someone else it could be C for community for instance)
4) the "internal" impact, i.e. the lessons learned or the skills acquired
5) the "external" impact, i.e. the influence or the effects on other people
6) the main skills that the episode/achievement/activity shows, on which you can build the "themes" of your application

Brief example:

1) Managed project X (+ short description of the project)
2) 2005
3) P
4) Delivering within tight deadlines, liasing with different departments, leveraging on my network, etc.
5) made my boss happy (+quote "we could have never done this without you"), pi**ed off the manager of the other department, motivated my team, etc.
6) Leadership, focus on innovation

I hope it makes sense...

Seeing all your life on a couple of pages kinda makes you feel miserable, and struggling to find more episodes/achievements makes you feel even more miserable... but I guess it has to be done...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know the name of this book...