Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Where I stand...

so I'm going to apply over the next few months to start in autumn (oops fall) 2008... but where do I stand in the application process?
I'm really glad I got the GMAT out of the way nearly 6 months ago so at this stage that's not a concern at all.
I'm trying to make up my mind about which (and how many) schools I'm going to apply to. My daily mood swings make sure those percentages stated just beside the name of the schools change pretty regularly.
I'd like to apply to 5 schools (all in R1 if I can manage) but sometimes I'm tempted to broaden my list to 7 schools... not sure how it'll end up.
I'm brainstorming for my essays and have just finished reading "How to get into the Top MBA Programs" by R. Montauk and "Great Application Essays for Business School" by P. Bodine. I found both really helpful. I also found really helpful the Clear Admit guides, although they're quite expensive.
I haven't contacted my recommenders yet and I'm seriously dreading that moment. In my field it's not so common to take an MBA so I'm expecting mixed reactions. Furthermore I'll have to coach them (i.e. annoy them) about how to write the letters since I'm pretty sure the recommenders I'm thinking about won't have ever written a reco for an MBA applicant. Anyway one of my recommenders is going to be a previous manager and I'm confident he won't be too bothered by my request but I'm not settled on the second... well we'll see.
Not sure why, but I'm trying to remain anonymous at least for now (it'll probably last only a few days...). I think the adcoms will have something better to do than reading my blog and trying to match it with my application but just in case...
Anyway I'm afraid not many dudes from Venice will be applying so I'd say I'm already pretty screwed. Oh well, at least I already have something to blame in case I get dinged.

No comments: